Friday, December 14, 2007

Home Group Follow-Up - Christmas

Most of us are probably presented with this story of Christmas every year, but that doesn't make it any less real or powerful.

I have come to enjoy the time spent with family during Christmas, the excitement in the air, the community of humans putting down their guard a bit for a season, the coolness in the air (normally), the giving spirit.

Most of us love this time of year, and most of us realize the true meaning behind Christmas. Do we stop and celebrate that? Do we still wonder? Do we still marvel at the vulnerability of Christ as a child? Do we still see the miracle? Do we still relate the birth of Christ to our own lives?

The short video Ashley played for us had a part that made me really think. It spoke of the many different names that God has, and it's true: The Prince of Peace, I am, Emmanuel, Father (there are many more). I think he has more names than Puff Daddy, or Diddy, or P. Diddy, or whatever. It amazed me to think about how God could be all these things. That all these names are not just another way to call him something, that they are there for a reason.

So, three things:

1. What are other "names" given to God/Christ ?
2. Which name is most comforting/relevant to your life right now ?
3. And maybe this is a rhetorical question, which do you need to experience right now?

5 comments:

traci said...

Part One

Abba: "Daddy"
Father
King
Spirit
Counselor
Mighty One
Prince of Peace
Alpha & Omega
Christ
Emmanuel
I AM
God
Messiah
Lord
Son of Man
Son of David
Son of God

traci said...

Part Two

I think Prince of Peace is what I am feeling in my life right now. After all of the turmoil of deciding what to do next and if grad school was "right", stress, grades, performing, living up to my standards of perfection...

All of that is over (for now at least) and I am experiencing the Prince of Peace in my life. Listening to God and resting in Him is truly amazing. Fighting with him and going my own way... not so much!

traci said...

Part Three

Mighty One, King, Lord, Alpha & Omega:

These ones are harder for me to grasp onto. I have a hard time truly believing that God will work miracles in my life (although he does everyday)... I'm working on building trust.

Jon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon said...

I removed my own post. It was unsatisfactory.....

So hard on myself.

Anyway, Prince of Peace was definately what I wanted to experience last week.