Thursday, July 26, 2007

Introduction to James

Well, we've been discussing James for the past 3 teaching gatherings and it seems to be very relevant to many in our community, hopefully more than many actually, but I digress.

When we first discussed James as a potential book to study as a group, I guess I figured I had seen this information before and we could all learn some, make some observations, apply it to our lives in some way. Well, my first teaching involved a discussion on how we are to have Joy in Trials and I began to see how this book is a bit more difficult than I originally thought. Lots of conflict between our human emotion and spiritual understanding, lots of thoughts that rub us the wrong way, lots of themes that I still don't understand. The topic of trials is difficult, a common theme we wrestle with God over. How can He allow bad things to happen? How are we to view the most horrific events in our life? How do react to those around us who are experiencing trials? Can I find consistent Joy in my life while allowing myself to feel various emotions?

-jon

9 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

Completely off topic, but you are "the New Bern Avenue Home Group of Visio Dei"? How's that? You meet at a house on Edenton Street.

It looks like your group blog gets about as much traffic as ours does.

Jon said...

Yes, it would appear that our traffic level is a bit low. I am optomistic as we have only just begun. Maybe I'm also naive.

Anyway, I agree. We have been coined the New Bern Ave group based on our previous location. I think Edenton would be a cool name. I'd be willing to change.

Shannon Smith said...

I had already changed it on the Visio Dei web site, but you probably had not noticed because that site gets about as much traffic as our home group blogs.

Another off topic comment...
If you want to send out an email to everyone in your home group, you can send an email to edenton@lists.visiodei.org. Everyone is a stretch because that assumes that everyone in your home group has registered on the Visio Dei web site and has been added to your group.

Jon said...

aHHHHHH, thanks for the heads up. I will indeed change the blog name, thanks !!

amy hathaway said...

Shannon, I think I was waiting for the official "go ahead" from Traci before using the email list serve. I was under the impression that some bugs were still getting worked out.

Then, we'll have our group individually register on Visio Dei's site to officially join our group. :)

Thanks, buddy!

p.s. I thought I'd try and add some more traffic! hahaha

Shannon Smith said...

Our group has been using the list-serv for months, and it seems to be working out.

You guys, the servant team, can log into the Visio Dei web site and update the list of people in your group without those people doing anything.

Sam Ed. said...

Is there going to be a post about our discussion from this past week?

Jon said...

What? Is somebody actually reading this blog?

Wow. Yeah. Ok then. We can write something.

Shannon Smith said...

Of course, you mean is someone that is in the home group actually reading the blog because I have been keeping up with the immense number of posts in my spare time.